Authors: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Definition of Topic

Topic

1. One of the various general forms of argument employed in probable as distinguished from demonstrative reasoning, -- denominated by Aristotle topoi (literally, places), as being the places or sources from which arguments may be derived, or to which they may be referred; also, a prepared form of argument, applicable to a great variety of cases, with a supply of which the ancient rhetoricians and orators provided themselves; a commonplace of argument or oratory.
  2. A treatise on forms of argument; a system or scheme of forms or commonplaces of argument or oratory; as, the Topics of Aristotle.
  3. An argument or reason.
  4. The subject of any distinct portion of a discourse, or argument, or literary composition; also, the general or main subject of the whole; a matter treated of; a subject, as of conversation or of thought; a matter; a point; a head.
  5. An external local application or remedy, as a plaster, a blister, etc.
  6. Topical.

Topic Quotations

The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world.
Edgar Allan Poe

The topic of leadership is a touchy one. A lot of leaders fail because they don't have the bravery to touch that nerve or strike that chord. Throughout my years, I haven't had that fear.
Kobe Bryant

We need to change the culture of this topic and make it OK to speak about mental health and suicide.
Luke Richardson

The blues is like a planet. It's an enormous topic. You can't ignore the impact that it has had and continues to have on the whole musical culture. It's a tree that everyone is swinging from. Without it, I don't know where I would be. It's indelible and indispensable.
Tom Waits

Morality is not just any old topic in psychology but close to our conception of the meaning of life. Moral goodness is what gives each of us the sense that we are worthy human beings.
Steven Pinker
More "Topic" Quotations

Topic Translations

topic in Afrikaans is onderwerp
topic in Dutch is iets actueels, actualiteit
topic in Finnish is aihe
topic in German is Thema, Thema
topic in Italian is volume, tema
topic in Latin is thema
topic in Spanish is contenido, tema
Copyright © 2001 - 2015 BrainyQuote
Tend